Join the 2011 Green Team!
Now Accepting Applications For Our 2011 Summer Youth Green Team!
Through collaboration with Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s Boston Youth Fund, ABCD, and the Brookline Foundation, the Emerald Necklace Conservancy is able to employ up to 30 Boston and Brookline youth each summer. Over a period of six weeks, Green Team crews work on horticulture and parks maintenance projects, maintain the Green Team Victory Garden plot in the Back Bay Fens, and conduct community outreach. Green Team members engage in weekly environmental education workshops and trips, receive leadership and job skills training, and participate in fun activities, including a camping trip.
Ages: 15-17 years old
Program Duration: Summer – July 5 to August 12
Program Commitment: 25 hours per week
Want to learn more about the Green Team program or other Boston Youth Fund opportunities? Join us at the Summer Jobs and Boston Youth Fund Hopeline Registration Open House. Click here for the open house flyer.
The Conservancy Seeks Youth Who:
- Enjoy being outside
- Are eager to engage in active, physical work
- Are committed to improving the Emerald Necklace park system
- Follow job rules and work clothing requirements (light-weight, comfortable clothing, Green Team t-shirt, and closed toe shoes), and reliably bring lunch and water to work.
- Will demonstrate a high level of commitment, positivity, and enthusiasm in their work, and treat their fellow crew workers with respect.
Youth Interested In This Position Should Possess:
- An eagerness to work outside in the parks
- Some knowledge of the Emerald Necklace park system
- Interest in conservation and environmental issues
- The desire to pursue college education and/or a career in conservation, landscaping, or parks maintenance
To view the 2011 Green Team application, click here.
Applicants to the summer Green Team program must be either Boston city residents and registered for the Boston Youth Fund Hopeline, Boston residents registered with or qualified to register with ABCD, or Brookline residents registered with Steps to Success. Registration for BYF Hopeline will be open from February 1, 2011 through March 4, 2011 and can be accessed online at:
All Green Team applications are due to the Youth Programs department at the Emerald Necklace Conservancy on Friday, March 18, 2011. Returning Green Team applications that are received by March 4, 2011 will be given priority processing.
For further information, contact Youth Programs coordinator Julia Golomb at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (617) 522-2700.